Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Gratitude Adjustment


 
 Ever hear your parents say " You need an attitude adjustment"? I know as a parent Ive had to say it a few times and that usually means "business" for the recipient :) Well my heavenly Father I figure recently figured the same thing as he sent me an "Gratitude Adjustment"!

A really unique and wonderful situation happened to me last Wednesday while having a home school morning at Barnes and Noble. To Make a long story short, God sent a wonderful right now word from a sweet looking older gentleman named Fernando as I was walking by his study area there.  At the end of our conversation ( more like him sharing a word from heaven to me, without knowing anything about me at all) he said he wanted me to read a book and he'd be back. He purchased and had gift wrapped for me a book by Debbie Macomber  called "One Simple  Act" Discovering the power of generosity.

 When I opened it in the car I was taken a back, as it really didn't seem to fit what we were talking about from the title. As I read it boy did I discover a whole new level of thinking. The gift wrapping was careful tucked in between two pages of pg. 168 +169. Two pages of scriptures like "Cast ALL your cares upon the Lord  " They that wait upon the Lord  Shall renew their strength" Lifting scriptures that brought peace and joy to my heart.  I began reading  and was really enlightened about all it talked about. How miracles start to happen when we start giving back and helping others even tho we are faced with needing help our selves. This act releases miracles in our life, How you say? GRATITUDE.
I sat and thought about that word for a long time. Am I truly thankful for every trial? Can I give of my time when My schedule seems jammed packed?  Say an uplifting word, when Ive had  terrible crushing ones from those I love said to me? Can I buy a lunch for a homeless man  when I have no $$ Myself? Theres POWER in giving, even sometimes giving.....Forgiveness. I know that was a hard word to hear huh ? It is for us all.

We have become a thankless generation of all that we've been given, spoiled brats of sorts (not any of you reading this of course) We think God and man Owes us something. We've often been giving things and luxuries, some we have not paid the price for so we have no gratitude or respect for.. I.E. Churches, Money, Positions, gadgets,cars, jobs, etc, etc.. If we are not careful we can be Heartless Harvesters of blessings that we didn't sow, but that's another thought for another time.

 The Author suggested writing in a daily journal 5 things everyday that you were thankful for and that it would turn your thinking around. It really opens your eyes for what we do have. I've often heard my husband quote " A Thankful Person is a Thinkful person"..If we really only realized all we have and how our "trials" have really been for our God, we would see how much he's done for us.

 Benefits of Gratitude
Not only Spiritually , but listen to what researchers found (taken from the book, oops SPOILER ahead)
 3 of my favorites...

*Gratitude Defends. Just Fifteen minutes a day focusing on things your grateful for will significantly increase your body's natural antibodies..WOW!!! Sick Much?

*Gratitude Sharpens . Naturally grateful people are more focused and measurable less vulnerable to clinical depression

*Gratitude Calms. A grateful state of mind induces a psychological state called resonance that's associated with lower blood pressure and heart rate.

 These are just three, to many to type.

 I was brought to my knees with thankfulness for all he's done for me. As I look over every  seeming Crisis and Trial is has ALL worked out for my God. One of my favorite quotes of the book " The Act of Gratitude  reminds us that God is worthy of our trust"..

Here's My question for you and one I've asked myself many times... Do you trust God?  Really Trust Him,, I mean with EVERYTHING?  When You give everything to him and trust him over your life  Oh the peace it brings.   Start looking at others around your work, community, home, etc for people to give the Love of God to and you'll be surprised at how it puts everything in your life in perspective.. My goal.. An Gratitude filled Attitude, I pray the same for you, and watch what God will do!!



BTW: Maybe a token from God, but since Ive started this new thought process (One I should have got a long time ago, but hey I'm slow... Ive had 4 wonderful miracles in my life this week that only he could have done! Grateful!

1 comment: